Monday, May 10, 2010

cherries two ways

On friday I had a strange craving for cherries. Who knows why, but something reminded me of some amazing cherries I bought last summer, and that was it. I HAD to have some.

Sainsbury's didn't have any. Nor did Tesco or the Co-op. I was getting desperate....Some people crave chocolate, some alcohol or crack. Apparently my drug of choice is fruit.

I finally found some in the garden centre (not as odd as it sounds - they have freezers of frozen fruit too). Hurrah! Not the ripe and ready to eat cherries I had originally wanted, but frankly by this stage I would take anything, so frozen cherries were an acceptable substitute.

I drove home dreaming of yummy desserts and consequently clafoutis found itself leap-frogged to the top of my 'to do' list.

I don't think I'd ever eaten clafoutis before, let alone made it, but it's the classic cherry recipe is it not?
Now, I realise that the picture below looks like a disaster, but they were just very dark cherries - not burnt. I promise.



I completely destroyed the pudding taking it out of the tin (time for a new non-stick pie dish - mine is antique), but it tasted lovely. So much so that Dan literally licked his plate clean.

Clearly I will be making this again.

Almost as successful was sunday's cherry recipe; a savoury one this time. Simon Rimmer's recipe for Duck with Cherry sauce. Find it here. I added a little thyme to the sauce, but that was the only change I made to the recipe.

I have to admit to feeling dubious about how likely this was to be edible, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I rolled up my sleeves and gave it a go.

I should have had faith. (Both in Mr Rimmer and also in the fact that duck and fruit go together wonderfully.) The dinner was good. Actually, very good.



So that's that. Cherry-craving satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment