Monday, May 31, 2010

brown is the new black

This week's theme is brown, which doesn't sound all that appetising I admit.

Over the May bank holiday weekend we went out for the morning to Kingham, where the Kingham Plough was holding a lovely mini-farmers' market. Homemade ice cream was one of the delights on offer, and as its the 2nd time I've seen it recently I had to try a scoop of brown bread ice cream.


(The first time I'd ever seen it was on a day trip to Lower Slaughter in the Cotswolds a few weeks back. Awful name, lovely place.)





Anyway, back to the icecream. It tasted as if the brown bread crumbs had been mixed with demerera sugar and toasted. They still tasted a bit crunchy and crumble-like in the icecream which gave it a nice texture. Tasty.

Also procurred at the farmers market was some fresh brown trout. A very pretty fish with a speckled skin and tender sweet meat.



I've not eaten brown trout before, so since I've had little or no opportunity for cooking this madly busy week I'm counting brown trout as my recipe of the week. I'm sort of cheating and sort of not! I haven't ever cooked brown trout before, and I served it with toasted hazlenuts as suggested in a recipe book, so I think I can bend the rules a little and count this as a recipe: At least its something new! We ate it with aspargus since we're making the most of the super-short period that its in-season.
Our trout was from here.

Also, I couldn't sign off without mentioning the slices of cheesecake we bought at the same event. It was from a stall by the Windrush Valley Goat Dairy, and was light, creamy and not over-sweet. I've bought milk from the same farm before but never the cheesecake. It had a lovely hint of ginger biscuits in the base and was great with some berries on the side.

I have to acknowledge that this was a rather glutinous bank holiday weekend, but I did run over 9 miles on sunday so I think I can justify the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment