Friday, May 20, 2011

Off topic - a music blog post

In the real world I work in music publishing. Its a quirky little mixture of art and commerce.

Last night one of the composers I represent was featured on BBC Radio 3's Late Junction. The composer is Howard Skempton, and of all the composers whose music we publish his is the work I have the most inate affinity with. I'm not sure if I'm meant to admit that (is it like having a favourite child?!), but its definitely true. He's a lovely, chatty, intriguing man.



The Radio 3 Late Junction sessions pair up 2 musicians who have never worked together, throw them into a studio together, and record the results. Howard Skempton was paired with Robin Williamson, who is described as a 'celtic bard'. Their resulting creations were suprisinging, magical, haunting. Completely brightened up my friday to 'Listen Again'.

If you're in the UK (I'm not sure if it works elsewhere) take a listen to the programme here. The session starts 1 hour into the programme, and there's an amusing little treat at 1 hour 16!

No comments:

Post a Comment