Monday, May 23, 2011

Foraging

One of the great joys of country living is stumbling across delicious foods for free. Everyone knows about the joys of blackberry-ing in the autumn, but I have recently been discovering other treats in our hedgerows and woodlands.

Last year my Dad pointed out some wild garlic growing on the riverbank at the end of our garden, and I discovered that the leaves could be used to make a lightly garlicy pesto. This year I found that the old railway line a few minutes walk from our house is absolutely covered in the herb. I ventured up there a few weeks ago with a large carrier bag and picked lots and lots of wild garlic leaves. The majority of them went into a lemon, almond and wild garlic pesto (last year I used walnuts instead of almonds), which I have been stirring into pasta sauces, spreading on pizza bases, and toasting on bruschetta. It does need a bit of cooking or it can be a little bitter, but once warmed through it makes a lovely pesto.

This week I have started to notice elderflowers in bloom around my area. When I was a child we had an elder tree in the garden and I remember my parents making elderflower and elderberry wine. I was too young to try any at the time, but I am reliably informed that when it was good it was GOOD. (But when it was bad it was awful?)

So, trusty carrier bag in hand, I hit the hedgerows to pick elderflower heads one morning. It said online that they should be picked in the morning if you want a slight banana-y flavour. That sounded better than the slight cat-wee flavour they said you get if you pick them in the evening! Also, you have to pick and use quickly or they loose their lovely floral scent.

I had in mind to make elderflower cordial, so I got online to find a recipe. An article by Tom Parker Bowles yielded a method, I bought citric acid from the chemist (and was cross-questioned about how I planned to use it - apparently heroin-users need it), and was good to get going.

300g sugar, 15 heads of elderflowers, 3 quartered lemons, plus 1oz citric acid:



Then add 1 1/2 pints boiling water. Stir until the sugar is all dissolved. Leave for 24 hours, stirring regularly.



Strain through muslin. Serve ice cold diluted with sparkling water, garnished with a couple of mint leaves. You could use it with cava too for an alcoholic treat.



The drink has a dry taste on the palate; like the dryness of unsweetened lemonade. Very refreshing, and floral, but if you have a sweet tooth then you'll probably want more sugar and less lemon.



Using elderflowers got me thinking about other culinary uses for flowers. Why not make use of violets, lavender, roses, and other beauties? Watch this space....

No comments:

Post a Comment