Thursday, January 13, 2011

A New Year wish list

My belated New Year's resolution is to expand by bread-making repertoire in 2011.

I make bread a reasonable amount already - maybe once every 1 or 2 months - but I only have one really successful method for a loaf so far. I've managed foccacia, soda bread, and flatbreads, but the foccacia selection could definitely be expanded to include some different toppings.

On my recipe wish list are:

Sourdough bread
Bialys
Bagels
Pitta bread
Pizza dough (I struggle to get this thin enough as I love a thin and crispy pizza base)
Hot cross buns (when we get to Easter of course)
Chelsea buns (for a nostalgia kick - a childhood favourite!)

I'm sure this list will expand massively as I get more into experiments with bread-baking. I hope our appetite for bread can keep up! We don't eat masses of the stuff, but I am an awful bread snob, so when I do eat bread I demand that its decent! Is there anything better than the smell of fresh bread wafting through the house? Other than perhaps the taste of the fresh bread, with the butter melting into the crumb and a lovely crunchy crust. If I'm feeling extravagant then a thick smear of honey on the top too. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.

My Christmas present from Dan is going to be a bread mixing bowl. We've asked a potter who lives in the next village to make one for me, so it should be ready in a couple of weeks' time. Then I can get started on my list. I'm quite excited! Here are some of the other things the same potter has made...I wonder what he'll come up with for me?





Also on this year's recipe 'to do' list: rice pudding, onion bhajis, fondant potatoes, pain bagnat, lemon meringue pie, gravlax, sweet and sour (I don't like the takeaway version, but suspect I may like a homemade attempt), sorbet, cranachan, toad in the hole, treacle sponge, salted caramel icecream, macaroons.

What would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment