Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hi-Lo

This week I have mainly been cooking from Silvana Franco's Hi-Lo Cook book. Well, you know, it is that 'got to lose the Christmas weight' time of year!



This recipe book is actually one of my favourites - it has a carefully chosen range of low fat and healthy recipes. I think that's something that is lacking in most recipe books - they seem to assume people only use their recipe books once in a while when they are happy to splurge on the oil and butter consumption. What about the every day stuff? - we don't all want uninspiring diet recipe books when we feel like going on a health drive for a bit! I want a book that gives me a range of dishes - some super healthy, some super indulgent, some that hit the middle ground.

Anyway, rant over, because Silvana Franco's Hi Lo Cook Book does fill the niche beautifully, and its one I come back to over and over again. I first came across it through making one of her recipes that I found on the BBC website. Then I came across a couple of others from the same book online, and they were great too. The book doesn't seem to be in print as far as I can tell, but I found it on ebay easily.

So back to the cooking...I made the Spanish Orange Creme Caramels for a girls lunch (with orange and passionfruit juice rather than plain orange), which were delicate and refreshing but with enough sweetness to feel a bit indulgent. Find the recipe on the BBC here.
Saturday's lunch was the lemon, rice and courgette soup. The soup was nice and light but still warming. A good recipe for winter or spring.
I also had a sunday breakfast of banana soda bread, warm from the oven, with honey.

So January lightening-up is on track, without much sense of deprivation thanks to these lovely treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment