Monday, February 8, 2010

I'm so over winter

Oh for goodness' sake: This winter seems to be going on FOREVER!

I'm dreaming of beach holidays, sunshine, and feeling warm. I could do with lying on a sun drenched beach, soaking up a winter's worth of heat.



Sadly, my finances won't run to that. Its all very well to make the choice of music for a career, but just once in a while I regret not selling my soul to make a killing in the city!

Anyway, I digress. I lieu of actually heading to warmer climes I have been cooking Caribbean food and pretending.

In the last couple of days we have had Jerk Chicken Kebabs and Salmon with Mango and Ginger.

Jerk Chicken definitely got the thumbs up.
I'm still considering the salmon dish.

The mango was a strong flavour; sweet and fruity. I liked it, but such a fruity flavour on the main course is not usual for our northern European taste buds. Would I make it again? Yes I think so. It was a good dish, just not the kind I'm accustomed to. However, that's part of the point of this project - to broaden my culinary horizons!

Here's the recipe for the Salmon dish - have a try & see what you think!

Salmon with Mango and Ginger (enough for 2)

2 portions of Salmon

Marinade:
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
Squeeze of lemon
1-2 crushed cloves of garlic
salt and pepper

Sauce:
1/2 ripe mango
75ml water
2 cherry tomatoes
1/4 onion
2 teaspoons of ginger syrup (the syrup from a jar of stem ginger)
salt and pepper

Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade, pour over the salmon. Leave it to marinade for 1 - 2 hours (no more).
Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180C.
Chop up the mango, onion, and cherry tomatoes. Whizz them up in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and add the water and ginger syrup.
Once the salmon has marinated for long enough put it into an oven proof dish and put into oven to bake for 10 minutes.
Warm the sauce through over a gentle heat. Once the salmon has cooked for 10 minutes pour the sauce over it and return the dish to the oven for another 10 - 15 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment