Sunday, December 5, 2010

more middle eastern explorations

Sumac onions with hazlenut dukka, white fish, and couscous for dinner tonight.

And so, hurrah for the fact that I have found another use for pomegranate molasses! I bought it for making fesanjan a little while ago. It turns out it also very nice indeed with red onions.

I'm not completely convinced that the combination of the dukka, fish, and onions was the best use of the 3 elements, but I really liked them all individually. The dukka would be good mixed with olive oil and spread on sourdough toast, the onions would be fantastic with lightly spiced burgers or roasted vegetables. I used Tilapia for the fish, which was a nice firm white fish.

So a successful foray, with room for improvement. First time I'd used sumac too.

Here's how to make the onions (enough for 2):
Fry 1 1/2 thinly sliced red onions in approximately 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Fry them over a low heat until soft, then stir in approximately a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses. Turn the heat up and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes. Stir through a teaspoon of sumac and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment