Wednesday, April 21, 2010

PSB

Purple Sprouting Broccoli.

It appeared in our veg box this week. I am finding my veg box educational!

This year I have had jerusalem artichokes, celeriac, purple kale, and now PSB only because they appeared in the box. I don't think I would have picked any of them up otherwise. Also, red cabbage with apple and sultanas has become a favourite, and I only tried making it because of a glut of red cabbage when it started appearing every week.

Successes? I find purple kale and purple sprouting very useful and yummy.

I'm less keen on celeriac and jerusalem artichokes. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I am heartily sick of them.

To celebrate the arrival of PSB, and my lovely egg selection from the farm shop, and the spring sunshine, we had a salad dinner on monday night; a tasty collection of semi-hard-boiled egg (just the yolk a little bit runny in the centre), chorizo, new potatoes, and purple sprouting.

The suggestion came from lovely Hugh's River Cottage Every Day cook book, and was a tasty, lively-flavoured little number, with just enough spice from the chorizo to keep it interesting.

The recipe is on the River Cottage website here. Enjoy!

Next season I am looking forward to? Asparagus!

No comments:

Post a Comment