Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fulfilling a promise

A year ago I promised Dan a meal of calamari and chips with prosecco.

A YEAR AGO.

I finally made it for him just after Christmas.

The chips were rubbish. They were meant to be thin and crunchy rosemary roast potatoes but didn't crisp up properly.
Moral of the story? Never try to cook potatoes in a hurry, and certainly never try to cook potatoes in a hurry after a cold run in which the sadists at running club have made you run up lots of hills while it snows.

HOWEVER, the squid was perfect.

I deep fried it after coating it in a mixture of cornflour, salt, pepper, and szechuan pepper. I'd never deep fried anything in my life before, but after draining the squid on kitchen paper it wasn't greasy at all. It was great with french beans and garlic mayonnaise. We had Cava rather than Prosecco, but I figured the principle's the same.

A very similar recipe to the one I used can be found here, but mine was actually from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Every Day book.

It was almost good enough to makeup for the rubbish potatoes. I'll substitute warm crusty bread next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment