Monday, November 30, 2009

Minding my P's and Q's

Parkin, Pesto, Quince.

Not all together!

Parkin, because it was bonfire night the week I attempted these, and Parkin is Dan's childhood-nostalgia bonfire night fix.


Except the recipe I tried was very old-fashioned and treacley. Dan remembers it as more ginger and golden-syrup and less treacle. I'll try the another recipe next time I feel inclined to try making Parkin and see if I can get closer to what he remembers. Still, what was left over after we attacked it on bonfire night went down well with my colleagues in the office on monday!

Pesto for no reason other than that we had a load of basil in the fridge which needed using. Yummy mixed with a little tomato sauce on gnocchi. Much nicer than the shop-bought jars. But the I suppose that shouldn't be surprising since anything fresh is usually better than something made in a factory and then left sitting in a jar for ages.

Now, the quinces.
This was because of my photography tutor John, who taught me on a darkroom course a couple of years ago. John has a love of quinces, jam in particular. I had never even heard of the fruit until I did that course, and this week I saw them for sale for the first time ever. They were in a metal bin at the farm shop - funny little fluffy things, like hard yellow pears. On impulse I bought a few. I had no idea what I would do with them or how you eat them.

Once at home I found a recipe for pear and quince compote in my Kitchen Bible (not me being facetious, it really is called the Kitchen Bible ), which took care of 2 of the fruits. I was a bit perturbed by my quinces not going a lovely ruby colour when stewed like the picture in the recipe book, but they tasted very yummy served slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla icecream, so I assume I just had a different variety of quince.
As I chopped, peeled and cored the quinces for the compote it became very obvious that they are not a fruit which you eat raw. The taste is so sharp it almost makes you wince (unintended rhyme!) and they're as hard as wood.
Ok that's an exaggeration, but you get my point.

I couldn't quite face chopping, peeling and coring the final quince. They were pretty awkward to work with because they were so hard. Baking seemed the way to go - 20 minutes or so in a medium oven (about 180C) softened the fruit up beautifully, making it easy to chop and mix with sugar for adding to a crumble at a later date.

I loved the flavour of quince. It tastes old-fashioned. Somewhere between an apple and a peach perhaps. I don't quite know how to describe it. Yes, its a pain-in-the-arse to prepare - certainly not a low-maintenance fruit. But I think they're worth it once in a while.

4 comments:

  1. When are you going to start cooking some American-ish dishes? I have several suggestions, that I would like you to try and present photographic evidence of!

    (1) Sweet potato pie
    (2) Texas Chili
    (3) Coney Island Pasta

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can find the recipes I'll have a go! Always good to have some suggestions - What's Coney Island pasta?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I meant to say Coney Island Chili...sorry about that! I keep trying to cut and paste the URL - but no dice! But it's tasty and I'm sure Dan will love it...p.s. take a picture of it as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok then - its on my list! As far as I can find out its a dryish beef chili served on a hotdog? I'll have a go sometime soon. Definitely next time I'm in the mood for some comfort eating.
    I found a recipe for sweet potato pie too. Might make that this weekend.

    ReplyDelete