Sunday, August 22, 2010

How does my garden grow?

We came back from a week in Wales to some very bedraggled looking tomato plants in our little vegetable plot. However, they are still covered in a hundred weight of green tomatoes. Having fried our green tomatoes a week or so ago I decided to have a try at doing something else with them. If they all survive to ripeness I will be very pleased and surprised, but we will also have a ridiculous number of tomatoes. Using some up early on seems like a good plan!

Its preserving time of year, and Dan loves a chutney with his curry, so I decided to try my hand at Green Tomato Chutney. I started from Mrs Beeston's (ripe) tomato chutney recipe, but added a few small chillies to give it a kick and some sultanas for sweetness since the green tomatoes are a bit less sweet than their ripe version.

Initial 'licking the spoon' taste tests seem positive; its got quite a kick from the cillies, but the flavours are good. This could go with curry or as a dip with poppadoms.



I've also had a go at green tomato salsa, and we've had the fried green tomatoes again, but with chorizo instead of smokey bacon this time, which was a better combination.

In other news, we had mussels cooked in cider rather than the traditional wine. Pretty good, but I think wine is ultimately the better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment