Sunday, August 15, 2010

Daring Cooks Challenge August

May I present this month's Daring Cook's challenge; pierogi.



Bear with me here. I know they don't look that tasty.

Pierogi are basically a heavier version of stuffed pasta as far as I can tell, although they were described in the recipe as a dumpling. They seem to be a Polish thing. The filling was a free choice but was meant to reflect your locality. I went for garlic, basil, goats cheese and whizzed up courgette. It may be tenuous, but we have a lot of basil in the garden right now and courgettes seem to be in season. The stuffing mix was a bit too liquid really but just about manageable.

Given how like a heavier stuffed tortellini pasta this was, I made a tomato sauce and toasted some pinenuts to sprinkle over the top.


I think I'll experiment with other fillings. I have a hunch that roast squash, garlic and pancetta would be a good combo.

The really good thing about this dinner was that the work could be done in advance leaving just boiling the pierogi for when you are ready to eat.

The August 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge was hosted by LizG of Bits n’ Bites and Anula of Anula’s Kitchen. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make pierogi from scratch and an optional challenge to provide one filling that best represents their locale.

No comments:

Post a Comment