Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sugar monster

This week there was a programme on TV which highlighted just how much sugar there is in the average breakfast cereal. I didn't see it myself, but when Dan started checking the sugar content on labels I figured it must have been quite shocking!
There are a few articles around about it: see here for one example.

A few months ago after many years of being a toast eater for breakfast I switched to muesli. Given that I generally run about 25 miles a week and cycle about 30 miles I figured that my joints and bones could probably do with a little extra help of some milk in the morning. My muesli's sugar content was quite high as it has quite a lot of dried fruit in it, so it sort of passed Dan's steely-eyed scouring of the food packets, but it wasn't ideal. One outcome of all this label reading was that it made me realise it would be pretty simple to make your own muesli to your own exact taste.
Obvious I know, but I'd just never thought to do it before. So, homemade muesli this week.

I suppose I shouldn't really count this towards the project as its not really a recipe, more of a free-style little of this, little of that, BUT I'm going to anyway. Afterall, I've never made it before so I think it qualifies!

My Muesli:

100g jumbo porridge oats (toasted by dry frying for a few minutes in a hot non-stick frying pan, stirring regularly so that they don't burn)
25g hazlenuts (toasted as above)
25g sunflower seeds (toasted as above)
50g dried apricots
30g sultanas
Shake of cinnamon - have I mentioned how much I love cinnamon in the winter? I put it in everything!

I toasted the oats on their own, then the hazlenuts and seeds until the seeds started to pop, chopped up the apricots a bit. Threw it all into a box and gave it a good shake.

It made enough for 5 or 6 breakfasts - I usually add a chopped banana and some fresh berries along with the milk.

BUT - a note of caution! I think there may be nothing quite so terrifyingly wholefoods-ish than homemade muesli. Such an offputting thought that I may have to never make it again! Next thing you know I'll be sporting the amazing sartorial combination of jesus sandals with socks...

No comments:

Post a Comment