Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Guardian Comfort Food

So, did you collect the recipe cards in The Guardian newspaper last week?

I missed the Ottolenghi one, but my Dad is a gem, and knowing that I'm a fan he saved it from their copy for me. I love the turkey and sweetcorn meatballs recipe in the Otolenghi cook book, so it seemed a fine idea to try out the new recipe for turkey and courgette meatballs with a wasabi guacamole. It sounded a healthy and highly nutritious meal - just what I need now that I'm training for the London marathon. (About that - I may not have all that much time to cook exciting things between now and April.)

The meatballs were very easy to make. I thought they didn't sound like a meal by themselves so I served them with rice. This really wasn't the best accompaniment. I loved the flavours of the meatballs - courgette, turkey, mint and cumin are a wonderful blend - but next time I will make them into burger patties and serve them in toasted pitta breads with the guacamole on top. With some potato wedges it could be a dinner, or without the potato it would be a good weekend lunch.

So, the recipe's a keeper, but the serving needs some adjustment.

Find the Ottolenghi Comfort Food recipes here.

An update: these are WAY better as burgers - serve in a warm toasted pitta with paprika potato wedges and minty yoghurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment