Friday, March 12, 2010

Crab cakes

A bit more experimenting making up my own recipes this week.

I had some very nice crab cakes at The Crazy Bear pub last sunday. They were salmon and crab and I had them with fat chips and rocket salad. They were just what I needed having done a hilly, muddy cross-country race that morning!

I decided to try re-creating something similar at home this week, and I had a tin of white crab meat left over from making the crab and linguine recipe (in a previous post) so it fell into place quite nicely. Instead of salmon I used smoked trout, and I served the fishcakes with new potatoes, cabbage and a poached egg.

I feel a little fraudulent calling this a 'Recipe of the Week' as I have made fishcakes plenty of times before and these were only slightly different, so I will have to do another recipe this week to really count towards the weekly target!

Here's the what I did:

Crab cakes for 2
200g potatoes - peeled, boiled and mashed
1 small tin of white crab meat (drained weight 120g)
125g smoked trout fillets
Juice of 1/2 small lemon
A small bunch of finely chopped parsley
Salt and crushed Szechuan pepper

Mix everything together in a bowl. Using your hands form the mixture into 4 equal sized balls and then flatten them slightly to make fishcake shapes.
Grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until slightly golden on top.
Serve.

Easy!


And here's the Crazy Bear website.

Very tasty food (and they didn't mind me being in bare feet having forgotten to bring clean shoes to change into post-cross country run!)

No comments:

Post a Comment